Thursday, August 11, 2011

Susan isn't lazy anymore...

First of all, sorry for my lack of entries lately...I have been incredibly busy with life (and doing some amazing creative things...which I will write about later). It's a crazy weekend, but after that, I will be overwhelming the world yet again with some very amazing things!!

Now, to my latest semi-obsession:

I can't help it...I LOVE when objects around the house have funny names. I just LOVE it. Lazy Susan!! Ah, where did this wonderful term come from? I googled this and as we all know, google has the answer to all life's difficult questions:

The lazy Susan is a turntable placed on top of a table, or counter tops, to aid in moving food. It comes in many sizes and shapes, though usually is round, and is made of glass, wood, or plastic. Thomas Jefferson is often attributed as the inventor of the lazy Susan in the 1700s. The term "lazy Susan" actually made its first written appearance in a Vanity Fair advertisement for a "Revolving Server or Lazy Susan" in 1917. Prior to that time they were called dumbwaiters. It is unknown where the term "lazy Susan" came from exactly, but it is highly unlikely to be a reference to an actual person. Some suggest it was common for female servants to be named "Susan" making the name synonymous for a servant, with "lazy" referring to the spinning table not going anywhere. More likely it came from a manufacturer as part of a marketing ploy, with the common name "Susan" used in the same sense that "Tom" is used in "peeping Tom" or "John" in "John Q. Public".
Wherever the name 'Lazy Susan' came from, I am a fan. Since it is only my sweet husband and me, I don't feel the need to have a lazy Susan at our dinning room table...it just seems silly to say "Babe, will you please pass the salt." And, then have them turn the lazy Susan 180 degrees so I can reach it. HOWEVER, this was my thought, until I saw how cute you could make the lazy Susan. My mom (the great one) has a ridiculous huge dinning room table. It can seat ten easily, with room to spare. With a table this large, it is no wonder she always leaves her lazy Susans on the table.

How she did it: She bought a normal plain wooden lazy Susan, bought mosaic tiles and then covered it. VERY simple project, but adding a little tile to anything is always a good idea to make something extra unique.

The table is actually so massive, she has two lazy Susans on it!



No comments: