Monday, August 22, 2011

Tag, you're it.

Ha, I am still giggling on the inside of my creative little title of this entry. So, I'm going to talk about tags today. I like them. I love how you can go into a store and right beside the gift-wrapping is all sorts of little matching tags. Ah, glorious! But, if I ever see something in a store that I like...well, you best be believing that I think I can create it! So, this little entry is about some homemade tags...well, kinda. Some of my friends here in Mississippi have been inside my 'craft closet' and seen my boxes and boxes of home-made tags I have made, just waiting to go on presents someday. I have issues people! I create things by the masses...seriously! I don't just make one really cute tag, I make thirty of the same one. People think I am kidding, I am not. If you have ever read "my intro" to this blog, you will understand, that working with my hands is my therapy...so if I'm in a 'mood,' I generally can be found hunched over working on something. And, then I go overboard and make thirty of the same thing. SO...wow, long rabbit-trail there, but my point is: this entry is NOT about all those tags, but one other tag in particular. Whew!

Anyway, for me and my favorite's wedding reception, we had the task of assigning people to particular tables for dinner. For all those who have had weddings, I am sure this is a task you might not have relished. I LOVED IT! I could not wait to make these fun little place cards and tell people where they were to sit....maybe it's the bossiness in me! Either way, I decided to make our place-cards into 'place-tags.' Our colors were black, white and that fun little apple green, so that is the colors I used. What should tags be hung from? Well, a home-made mini-tree of course!

What I did and how I did it: I bought some manzinta branches at a local whole-sale flower shop, zip-tied them together (zip-ties are AMAZING...and if you have never used them, I insist that you try someday) and spray painted them black. Bought a little bucket-of-a-thing to put them in, mixed up some concrete to pour in the bucket and hold the branches into place. I then covered the concrete up with some moss. As for the tags: I cut them out to the size I wanted, cut out the numbers as well (by cut, I mean use the amazing cricut that cuts anything I want for me), bought a white-pen so I could write on the black tag and there you go! Then, I got green and black sheer ribbon to hang them with and waaaLaaa, place-tags done! I am sure the pictures will explain this MUCH better than I am attempting to.

I don't know if I will ever throw a party in the future that will require place-cards, but if so, I will have my tag idea ready to go!!


A far-away view of the tree with the 'place-tags' hanging from it. I will try to find a better picture!

An up-close view of the tags.

And, mad props go to my sweet, sweet husband for assisting me with the creation of the tree...he doesn't always see my vision when I explain it, but he's always there supporting it!

No comments: