Tuesday, August 23, 2011

No thank you, I'll make that myself!

Have you ever walked into a store and absolutely loved something? I mean, you see it across the store and ahhh, your heart skips a beat...you just know that that object is meant to be in your home!! THEN, you see the price tag...and the love for this used-to-be-amazing-object vanishes and you can't believe the nerve that someone would actually charge that much for something! Yep, I have been there! I always say to myself, "NOOO thank yoooou, I will be making that myself!" By the time I actually purchase all the equipment and tools to make these home-made objects, it probably ends up costing the same, but it's the concept!

Anyway, back a few years ago, I spent a good solid week in my hometown, doing absolutely nothing but helping mom with her projects. It was the perfect therapy for me! She had ideas, I had ideas...but mainly she had the ideas and I had the labor! She wanted to replace the shutters on the outside of her house. We went to one of my favorite stores (Lowes....don't judge me, the store is AMAZING) and looked at shutters...whew, EXPENSIVE! So, we decided with authority and confidence that we could make em...so that's what we did.

We bought pieces of wood, cut them to the size she wanted (they could do that for you at Lowes, but she has her own power saw, so she did it herself...obviously), painted them the perfect color of grey-brown and then attached these awesome over-sized hinges that she had bought...then placed them beside the windows for some picture-perfect shutters! Every time I am lucky enough to go back to my home sweet hometown, I see these amazing shutters and feel a sense of pride because we made that ourselves!




No comments: