Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Not your Grandma's China Cabinet...

**Disclaimer: I am uncertain if the word "china" in the phrase "China cabinet" is supposed to be capitalized or not. Therefore, I used an uppercase about half the time, so at least I'll be right some of the time. I am sorry if I have offended the Chinese or anyone else with my lack of proper capitalization.

Some of my most favorite things to look for at flea markets and antique stores are china cabinets. The reason for this is probably because I have an unnatural love for dishes! LOVE THEM!!! I already own four complete sets of dishes and I am already to starting to collect a fifth (an INCREDIBLE Kelley green antique glass dish set for Christmas....these dishes make me happy every time I see them!!!)....I digress. China cabinets, they are amazing! I bought one a few months ago and am not satisfied with the one coat of paint I put on it. I have constantly thinking about how I am going to make it my own....while nothing has come to me yet, this is a project on the top of my to-do list.

However, when visiting the Motherland, I was reminded of what makes the china cabinet so amazing. Both of my sweet grandmas own very lovely china cabinets. You know the China cabinets I am talking about here: An oak wood (or some other very nice wood) with glass pane windows so you can peek in at their very gorgeous china and crystal. While these China cabinets are very nice, they are traditional and lack the flair that I wish to bring to my own china cabinet someday. BUT, the woman that can bring flair to anything is Tami Trivitt, my mom.

Let me tell you a little bit about her China cabinet. She painted it black (I know what you are thinking....BLACK?! Is she crazy?!), mosaic-ed the back of it with light-aqua-colored translucent mosaic tiles, knocked out the wood shelves of it and replaced them with glass shelves instead, painted the inside sides a light aqua color and then added little jewels on them. Then, she had my grandpa (yes, my entire family is incredibly creative) make lead (stained) glass cabinet doors for the front. To top it all off, she drilled a hole in the back of cabinet, so she could add a light at the top of the cabinet. "OH MY GOODNESS, she has destroyed this piece of wood!!!!" That was my initial thought when she told me about it via phone before I actually saw it in person.

However, what my mom created is one of my favorite pieces of re-done furniture that I have ever seen. I absolutely LOVE it. This amazing 'piece of wood' is not your grandma's china cabinet. :) Every time I see a china cabinet in the antique stores, I try to see it's potential as something that could someday look like this!

THE China Cabinet!

I have learned that the most important part of decorating is not WHAT you have, but HOW you arrange it. I love the way my mom stacks things here and there in her china cabinet. Design everywhere!!!

An up-close view of the mosaic backsplash of the China cabinet...there are even little added jewels here and there, LOVE IT.

The inside corner of the cabinet....little details everywhere!

1 comment: