Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Can't spell, but I can write!

I am a bad speller. I use grammar wrong constantly. I have no idea what a preposition (Yes, I just googled the word 'preposition' to make sure it was indeed the thing I have no idea what it is) is still to this day. I have to think really hard when I play Mad Libs to and they ask for a particular part of the English language. To put it very bluntly, I am bad at English. HOWEVER, I love to write!!! No, no, no...not write books or poems or short stories or anything along those lines. I like (let's be honest, LOVE) to write letters. It brings me great joy to think that in a few short days someone will be sorting through a stack of bills or junk mail...and then, suddenly, they spot something written by an actual human. They see this envelop and they think....hmmm, maybe someone is getting married or graduated. Then, they open up the envelop and see that it is just a good old fashion letter from me!

When I have a lot to 'say,' I use notebook paper (college-ruled of course). When I just would like to say a quick 'hello and I love you,' I use a homemade card. When I want to wow their socks off, I use some of my homemade stationary! (I just learned how to make this INCREDIBLE stationary last week, so people who get regular letters from me, please prepare yourselves for your socks to be wowed soon).

Okay, while I will someday highlight cards and this to-die-for-stationary, the subject of this particular post is about the envelope. In my humble opinion...wait a minute....I take that back. My opinion in this matter is not humble. I keep the post office in business with my constant stamp-buying (these stamps are going up at ridiculous rates)...Therefore, in my non-humble opinion, I think the envelope is one of the most under-valued objects of American culture. There is not the proper respect given to the envelope as it deserves.

The envelope is to the letter as your makeup and outfit is to you: VERY IMPORTANT! While I hope you understand the importance of what I am saying here, please notice with equal awe of the simile (a comparison using like or as) I just used! Anyway....This is the first thing people see and it sets the whole mood of the letter. I may have some serious issues here, but come on people, give the envelope some respect. One might be thinking, how many ways could there possibly be to address an envelope? OH....let me show you! Some ideas below of some fun and creative ways you can make your envelope as special as the letter you are about to send. And....please if you aren't a "letter-writer," try it...you'll be shocked how much joy your insides will feel.
Write the person(s) name larger and in a pretty font. I covered up their address, to protect their privacy...and I already had this envelope ready to mail!

You can make the address into a simple shape, such as this butterfly!

Sometimes it is just fun to write in a bright color and make it very over sized, almost taking up the entire front of the envelope...I'm sure the mailman appreciates my extra large writing on this style!

It always adds such a special touch to make one letter extra big, more detailed and different than the rest!


One of my favorite ways to address letters...it is completely unique! The person's name goes on top and bottom, with the address in the middle in between two thick lines (use a ruler if you need).

If you are curious by now, Omega is my grandma and she gets letters weekly! A fun way to address the envelope is use different colors, curve the name, off-center the address and use different styles of hand-writing!

If you are going to just address the envelope like normal, you can always add a little flair on each letter
with hash-marks and indent each line.

You can put the name sideways in a different color for an added pop!

My favorite paper store of all time. Every color, every size, every weight of paper and envelopes you can imagine. It's literally like envelope-heaven on earth. I am sad to say that they used to know me by name in this store. If you live by an Xpedx, visit this store!!

There are so many ways someone can spice up an envelope, so be creative! I hope these gave you a few ideas. I will be back to sharing the creativity of my parent's home later this week...prepare yourselves to continue to be awed!

2 comments:

Denise Cochran said...

Shena, as someone who has received some of your homemade cards, I agree that your letters are very special! I love your creativity!

Leslie Ham said...

Hi to you and Matt. Great work love all the fun suff you do!! Hugs, Leslie